Canadian Inland Spousal Sponsorship

Sponsoring A Spouse or Common-law Partner who is already Inside Canada


You Can Sponsor your Spouse or Common-law Partner if they are already inside Canada

Your Spouse Can Even Work During the Process!

Canada's spousal inland sponsorship program allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their spouse or common-law partner to live with them in Canada. The following are the basic requirements for spousal inland sponsorship:

  1. Sponsor eligibility: The sponsor must be at least 18 years old and be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada.

  2. Relationship eligibility: The sponsored person must be the sponsor's spouse or common-law partner.

  3. Residency eligibility: Both the sponsor and the sponsored person must be living in Canada during the spousal sponsorship application process.

  4. Income eligibility: The sponsor must meet the minimum income requirement to show that they can support their spouse or partner financially.

  5. Medical eligibility: Both the sponsor and the sponsored person must undergo a medical examination to ensure they meet Canadian health and safety standards.

  6. Criminal record eligibility: The sponsor and the sponsored person must pass a criminal background check.

It is important to note that there may be additional requirements or eligibility criteria depending on the specific circumstances of the sponsor and sponsored person. It is recommended to seek legal advice or assistance to ensure all requirements are met before applying for spousal inland sponsorship.

Aventure Law provides a full suite of immigration law services. Please get in touch to discuss any matters pertaining to Immigration to Canada. We also have very strong ties with professional educational consultants, if you require assistance in securing admission to a Canadian educational institution.
For further information, please contact Akshata Mandevia ( or Imran Lalani ( or complete our webforms on or